Friday, November 19, 2010

I am a part of the universe, the universe is a part of me

 
King Protea (Protea cynaroides)

I picked up this amazing Protea from the Old Bus Depot Markets on Sunday. I had been looking for a good subject to use my 21mm extension tube with and this looked perfect. The King Protea is a BIG impressive flower indeed! Close up photography has always interested me and being without a macro lens just did not feel right. I really enjoy seeing what's going on beyond our normal field of view. The details and patterns of nature that become evident when magnified or viewed from space. From macro to microcosm it gives a new perspective to things. There is a saying we learn in Tai Chi training along the same lines "I am a part of the universe, the universe is a part of me". Yin and Yang. I think the aim here is to destroy the belief of a fixed or separate self by gaining a new (and more realistic) view of our place in the world. Hopefully these pictures of nice flowers will give someone a deeper insight into the workings of the universe and reality as a whole :)

 Shot on Fujifilm Provia 100 film with florescent lights and tungsten lamp

No comments:

Post a Comment